Become a Member
Supporting the Highlands Biological Station and its pillars help us to continue our work and research into one of the most biologically diverse regions in the world. Call 828-526-2221 to make a contribution by phone.
To Donate Online: Click here to make a donation to the Highlands Biological Foundation
Species of Native Plants
Years of HBS Operation
Acres to Explore
The Highlands Biological Foundation (HBF) supports the Highlands Biological Station through funding for educational programming, scholarships, research, and daily operations. In addition, HBF has separate funds to support the outreach missions of the Nature Center and Botanical Garden. Membership support guarantees that HBF can continue to provide support to these organizations.
- Terrapin Mountain $35: Receive discounted registration for certain programs and fundraising events, a spring newsletter, Catalogue, and Zahner Conservation Lecture Series announcement.
- Bear Pen Mountain $50: The family membership. Receive Terrapin Mountain benefits, plus discount and early registration for Nature Center summer camps. Early registration typically begins in January. Limit one discount per membership, but you may take advantage of the early registration for multiple family members.
- Scaly Mountain $100: Receive all of the above benefits plus 10% off merchandise and books at the Station offices and the Highlands Nature Center.
- Sagee Mountain $250: Receive all of the above benefits plus 20% off HBS courses and workshops.
- Satulah Mountain $500: Receive all of the above benefits plus access to the American Horticultural Society’s Reciprocal Admissions Program, which offers free admission and/or additional benefits at nearly 300 gardens throughout North America and the Cayman Islands. Also receive an invitation to an exclusive event for members at this level, and acknowledgement in the spring newsletter.
- Whiteside Mountain $1,000 & Above: Receive all of the above benefits plus access to the HBS “Rent a Naturalist” program, and an invitation to an exclusive event for members at this level only.
Kids – Salamembers
The Highlands Biological Foundation is dedicated to instilling in future generations the importance of learning about, and taking care of, the natural world around us. Our children and grandchildren will be the future stewards of this precious planet. Help foster a love of the natural world in a kid by giving the gift of a Salamembership. We promise each salamember will learn and have fun!
- Receive a copy of the Salamember Scoop quarterly a year with fun nature facts, trivia, stories, and nature-related news. All salamembers can submit their news and questions!
- A gift of a brilliant Meet Your Neighbours photograph featuring a creature found around Highlands. Collect a different one each year!
- A birthday card
- Receive a discount and early registration for summer camps at the Nature Center.
- Be part of the Highlands Biological Foundation’s team. Our members are very important to us.
Cost is only $30 per year!
The Highlands Biological Station can always use volunteers, and we have opportunities for those with many interests. We promise to make your volunteer time not only useful and meaningful, but educational as well. If you are interested in helping at the Nature Center, in the Garden, in the Laboratory, at special events or have another idea of what you would like to do, please contact Charlotte Muir at 828-526-2221. our Volunteer Coordinator and check out our Volunteer Application.
Make a Donation
We welcome anyone to stop by the offices off of the entrance at 265 N. 6th St. to fill out a membership form. We are happy to assist.
To pay for your membership or donation by check:
Please make your check payable to: Highlands Biological Foundation
Send to: Highlands Biological Foundation
P.O. Box 580
Highlands, NC 28741
To pay for your membership or donation by credit card:
Stocks, bonds or any other securities can be transferred as gifts. Giving the gift of stock has benefits for the giver. If the stock has appreciated in value, the holder can avoid paying the capital gains tax by giving it as a gift. Call or e-mail us to discuss your options today.