In the 1920s and 1930s, land around Lindenwood Lake was developed for residential purposes (“Lindenwood Lake Development”). When the Clark Foreman Museum (also known as the Highlands Nature Center) was established in 1941, Clark Foreman (founder), Dr. William Coker (first director), and Dr. Edwin Reinke (second director) made plans to build a laboratory and expand campus. Five acres of land around Lindenwood Lake were purchased from Frank Potts on which to build the Sam T. Weyman Laboratory.
In 1940, heavy rainfall during the month of August caused pressure to build up in the lake until it broke the earthen damn. The resulting flood washed out the bridge over Highway 64.
Today, the network of trails and boardwalks that make up the Highlands Botanical Garden, in addition to Lower Lake Road, wrap around the beautiful Lindenwood Lake. In the summer time, pink lilies coat the surface of the lake, and ducks and over a dozen snapping turtles make their home in the water (be careful, they bite, so please don’t feed them!). Patrick Brannon, director of the Highlands Nature Center, also uses the lake for several summer camp activities and outreach programs in order to demonstrate various data collection and field techniques. In sum, the six-acre Lindenwood Lake has become an integral part of the campus of the Highlands Biological Station, to be enjoyed by all!
Information taken from “Heart of the Blue Ridge” by Randolph P. Shaffner.